Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Giving Circles: Beneficial To Women, Minorities, And To Us!

A recent report conducted by Jumpstart Labs concluded that Giving Circles have far larger numbers of women and minority participants than other forms of philanthropy. Due to their community oriented, low-pressure nature, Giving Circles tell people that it doesn’t matter if you are rich, poor, young, or old, exploring philanthropy can be rewarding, informative, and fun. Scheduling a wine and cheese night with your friends? Why not pool your money together and decide on a charity to donate it to? Rather than spending your evening gossiping, you are now using your time together in a way that both helps you and others. While philanthropy can often feel out of reach to some minority groups, Giving Circles are a good way to donate on your own terms with the safety of a community you know and trust.

If I were to make a list of all of my friends and how I am connected to them, I would find that the majority of my relationships are formed through my involvement in clubs and activities. Once I find something I am interested in, I migrate towards people who share that interest. Furthermore, once those people take an interest in something new, I am likely to explore that new realm as well. So what would be the impact of philanthropy being the basis for that club or activity? How would my world be influenced differently if I connected with the people in my life through a mutual desire to learn how to give? It is human nature to be drawn to the interests of those in our social circle; thus, Giving Circles encourage people to contribute to a cause by making it into a social activity. Rather than feeling lost and alone in your pursuit to learn about or give to philanthropy, Giving Circles urge you to incorporate your philanthropic journey into an activity you can do with your friends.

Last semester, I took a sociology class and spent the semester feeling very restless as we sat in a room in our comfortable, protected, privileged, university debating the degree to which racism exists. Instead of going into the world and doing something to solve the problems we discussed, we just sat there and argued with one another. And that was on a good day, on a bad day we sat there complacently as we watched the minutes tick by on the clock ignoring the immensely problematic social phenomena that were being discussed. Joining this class, I hoped to make up for the sociology class. I thought that if we were giving to real organizations I would not feel like I was just sitting in a room stroking my white middle class ego, but actually taking action to help others. However, I have still had times when I sit in this class and feel that being there, picking apart the philanthropy of others, is more of the same concept of convincing myself I am contributing to societal growth while actually just stroking my own ego. We spend the class time picking apart books written by people who, regardless of their flaws, devoted a large amount of time, money, and energy to making a difference instead of merely talking about making one. However, looking at our class as a Giving Circle has helped me see the merits of our discussions and the importance of philanthropy being a social activity. Unlike a Giving Circle, we did not all pool our money together to donate to a charity; however, we do learn about effective forms of philanthropy and we will collectively decide to whom we want to give the money. Throughout the process we will learn whose opinions with which we tend to side and with whom we tend to butt heads, we will learn how to begin the process of deciding we to allocate a given amount of money, and how a group of young adults can turn philanthropy into a social fad. As a group of young adults it can be hard to find a philanthropic organization that will give us any real power, but being a part of a Giving Circle like this class allows us to demonstrate what we know and how we can help regardless of our ages.


            

3 comments:

  1. Between the assigned readings and today's class discussion I, too, have been thinking a lot about giving circles and the kind of impact they can have. I think it's really interesting to take a look at the vast scope of organizations that the term "giving circle" can cover. From small groups of friends at a party, like the one you mentioned, to established organizations, like the one we heard about in class today, all can be considered giving circles and all walks of life can participate in them. I thought it was really interesting to see the contrast between the two giving circles we heard about today, with one well established and donating hundreds of thousands of dollars, and another just getting off of its feet. I think a lot of people are intimidated by the idea of just choosing charities to donate to and I think that, in addition to providing a sense of teamwork and community, giving circles can help would-be philanthropists overcome this fear. Although I'm not sure that I will participate in giving circles in the future, I think the concept is really great and I think it's nice to see how working together in a group to make a contribution can greatly increase your impact.

    Although I do see where you're coming from, the last part of your blog post is where I start to disagree with you. It is completely and utterly unrealistic to think that you, as a single person, or your class has the power to eradicate a social problem such as racism. On the same token, it's unrealistic to believe that we will be able to eliminate issues such as hunger or poverty. But it would be foolish of us to turn our heads and pretend these problems do not exist. Talking about real problems that real people face is the first step to fixing those problems and helping those people. The fact that you are taking these classes and talking about these issues means that you have nothing to feel guilty about. And even though the money we are donating did not come out of our own pockets, we will still be using it to do good in this community. I've said it before, and maybe I'm naïve, but I honestly believe that we will be able to do so much good with this money that we have been given. If you're unconvinced, I invite you to take a look at some of the amazing charities in this area and some of the grants that have been given to them for various purposes. I'll admit that I haven't done extensive financial work with any organizations anywhere, but I know that our money will make a difference, especially in this community. I completely understand your fear of just sitting around and not doing enough to help, but I think that by talking about it, by taking the first steps on our own philanthropic journeys, and by donating actual money to actual organizations, we will be able to do far more with our efforts than just make ourselves feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of the giving circle that we have been learning about this week in class. The readings we were assigned this week were very interesting and made me realize that a giving circle may be the most effective way to donate money. For example, if you are on your own, the average person may not know how to give effectively. If he or she joined a giving circle, they would have the necessary resources needed to make a meaningful donation. I think that these circles are so important because not only are they good for the philanthropic community, but for the social community as well. One of the big draws to giving circles is that you get to meet new people who share a common interest with you. One major thing I took away from class on Tuesday was how Allie and Anita both got into these giving circles with their friends. I think the social aspect of giving circles makes it appealing to join. Someone may be more inclined to join a giving circle with their friends rather than making a donation on their own. In this regard alone, giving circles will increase the number of philanthropists in the future.

    Like Arianne, I see our class as a giving circle. Although we are not donating our own money, I do not think that makes a big difference. One could argue that it makes the experience less meaningful, and that we will not be as passionate as our own money is not on the line, but I disagree. I think that we are all highly motivated to make a difference and that we will put as much effort and care as possible to make our final choice the most meaningful it can be. I see our class as a giving circle because we are a group of highly motivated individuals who are looking to make a big impact with a sizable donation in our community. One of the benefits of having so many people together is that we can voice our opinions and do individual research so that we can make the best decision possible. I think that having one large group will be more beneficial than us making the decisions on our own.

    I found giving circles very interesting and all of the benefits we learned about in class has made me think about joining one in the future. The idea of making a big impact and working with others is very appealing to me. I am curious if anyone else is feeling the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ariane!
    Having taken multiple sociology classes here, ranging in topic from the GMOs in food production to the prison system, I completely understand the restless nature of that environment. Similarly to the way we approached The Power of Half, you sit in a room with your peers tearing apart the work and efforts of those who were brave enough to take action. While I am still working though my views on giving circles, I understand how the idea of actually trying to make a change can be a refreshing change of pace.
    I should be super excited about the ideas of giving circles. I mean, it seems like the perfect outlet for individuals who want to make a change while building a sense of community. That being said, I am still skeptical of the unified nature of these groups. Anita’s experience makes sense for the place she currently is in her life, and although I know of adults who have the luxury of time, I found her story very difficult to relate to. Allie’s story seemed a lot more realistic, but she really hasn’t begun her journey of a philanthropic adult life. I would be curious to see how her giving circle evolves, but right now I don’t think I’m ready to be a philanthropist in a group setting. An individual should discover their values and beliefs before being in a position where they are subject to the views of everyone around them. Allie described needing that time to better herself, and maybe after that period of my life I too will be inclined to join a giving circle.

    ReplyDelete