Monday, April 13, 2015

The Castle

This Saturday, I was really excited to hear that Binghamton University has taken on stewardship of The Castle, formerly known as the Inebriate Asylum (read the full story here http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/2015/04/10/details-emerge-bu-stewardship-castle/25592067/). It was built in 1858, when it became the first institution in the USA to treat alcoholism as a medical condition. Unfortunately, it's been vacant for 22 years. I mentioned this historical site in a comment a few weeks ago, and ever since I first heard of it I've been absolutely fascinated. I had no idea that a beautiful building like this even existed, or that it's located a mere 14 minutes from our campus. I was thrilled to hear that BU has taken it on, it makes me feel proud to be a Bearcat. 
The university is really excited about The Castle, although they don't have any specific plans yet. I can imagine it as a hub for cool new businesses, which would get tax benefits for being on the site. What can you see in The Castle's future? A community center? Restaurants? Classrooms?
I'm curious to see what kind of a role philanthropy will play in these plans. So far it seems that the University is relying solely on $12.5 million of state funds. Although our class has certainly favored social organizations rather than SOBs, I think funding a place like The Castle would be just as important. It has so much potential to improve the community and make Binghamton a better place to live, somewhere to really be proud of. That's why I think it's really important for us to consider funding Kopernik. Anything that attracts people to Binghamton is good for the community as a whole.
The community needs places like this to keep it alive. I know because my hometown is pretty dead. There's almost nothing to do there, and i wish we had someplace like Kopernik. However, when I was home for spring break I was really excited to hear about the efforts of a local music hall, which holds concerts and other community events. They just started renovations on a new music reading room. They need money for repairs, so they're asking everyone in the community to make a donation, even if it's only a few dollars. So far, the community really seems to be rallying around this cause. People like having something to work towards, together. I hope that if the University decides to collect donations, they will harness this collective spirit of community giving.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Dana! I was also very interested when I heard that BU had taken on the Castle. At first, I was unsure of what the college would be able to do with a building like that, but as I thought about it more, I also explored the various uses that you mentioned. It really is a beautiful building and holds a lot of historical significance. Although the building has been empty for many years, I'm very happy to see that (as of right now) there are no plans to tear it down. I know there are no specific plans for the building yet, and that there has been some kind of issue with the state funding, but I'm very interested in seeing what will be done with the building and what kind of impact it will have on the local community and economy. I could definitely see the building being turned into some kind of performance venue or art space; it is just such an old and beautiful building. I could also see it becoming some sort of place to house a variety of businesses (there was a building in Johnson City of a similar size that did just that until it was shut down a few years ago).
    I really enjoyed the last piece of your post, as it is exactly how I feel about this area. I know we tend to joke about how "SOB" organizations are no where near as important as other social organizations, but I will continue to believe that if something like the arts is important to a community, it is something that is important to support. I know I've said it before, but this area (and many other suburban areas in Upstate New York) are absolutely full of communities and people who are proud of the music and the arts that exist in their areas. If everyone moves out of a community because they hate it, there is no point in pumping money into human and health service organizations. I'm not saying these organizations aren't incredibly important, I'm just saying there are many different ways you can help a community, and it is crucial to be aware of that. Very nice and reflective post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana,

    Thanks for this post! I had no idea Bing had taken on such an important task. I agree that this undertaking will certainly have a positive impact in the community, in a variety of ways.

    Using the space as a hub for start-up companies would be really great. Start-ups would create new jobs and opportunities for those who live in the area, and give them the chance to grow as businesses and truly establish themselves. I also enjoy the idea of classrooms being a part of the new development. As a class, we all seem heavily focused on providing educational resources, so I'm happy to see that the university as a whole also seems to share that view. I have complete faith in BU to take care of this facility, and to ensure it's positive impact in the community.

    Additionally, I think Binghamton's acquisition of the Castle speaks to one of the issues we raised in class a few times: that we, as college students, are only temporary members of the community. I know that I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and how it's possible to feel both connected and disconnected from a place at the same time. By becoming steward of the Castle, I think Binghamton is taking a step toward ensuring that we have a lasting, tangible effect in the area. I know that I will now try and follow any news we have about the Castle and how Bing plans to use it, and see if there's any way that I can get involved, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you chose to write about this! I intern for Binghamton University PR and my boss told me about this the week before break. I have to be honest with you for a moment and tell you that I've had a hard time understanding the purpose of Binghamton University getting stewardship of this property. My boss asked me to do a little bit of initial research on "The Castle" to help him formulate an official press release statement for the public. Before reading your blog post, the only interesting thing I learned about this building is that it is one of Binghamton's hidden treasures and is one of the most important historic buildings in the state of New York. However, your blog post has inspired me to think differently about this building, Instead of being skeptical about its use, I'm actually now more excited. I hope that this stewardship can help foster and create a more lively Binghamton community. Thanks to your post, I can understand why people are pushing for Kopernic to get the money. Perhaps it's not necessarily about the actual telescopes they will get, but rather boosting the area's morale. I've been trying to understand why Kopernic is a top contender and now I strongly believe you've found the answer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and who knows, maybe Kopernik willl be one of my top contenders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dana!
    It's amazing that before this blog post, I didn't know this gorgeous historical landmark was in our backyard, much less that the university has taken on a tremendous task of being responsible for the restoration. In the article you linked, the quote, "It pains me when I see demolition by neglect" really resonated with me. When pursuing philanthropic action, it's really easy to address big issues, but it is also really easy to say, "this is not a priority," or "someone else will take care of this." When narrowing down organizations, we eliminated ones like the Boys and Girls club because "they are so big and receive so much funding." While that may be the case, what if everyone else feels that way too? There is a fine line between supporting small and local, and just assuming the big guys are OK, and honestly I'm not really sure where that line falls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, I love this post! I think one of the things you seem really passionate about it being able to get involved in something more close to home. For The Castle, it gives us Binghamton students a chance to get involved in something that directly impacts the community. I can think of a lot of things like The Castle back home that made me excited to get involved, not so much to give back to my community, but because I would see the results of my actions.

    One of the things I love about philanthropy is that we get an option--we can give our money, like we do in this class, or we can give our time towards physical action. Personally, I prefer giving my time towards a goal, instead of my money. This is partially because I don't really have money to give, and partially because I prefer the use of my hands and the face-to-face interaction I get from volunteering. With projects like The Castle, this is especially true for me. I feel like Binghamton students, and even students in Broome County, will get excited about getting involved, mostly because we will see the direct results of our actions. And I think that's a great motivation to get involved in a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete