Sunday, March 1, 2015

Giving Past the Glamour

As a sat at my computer contemplating what to write about, my roommate mentioned to me that she just watched this touching youtube video. Assuming it was another feel good youtube clip that was meant to inspire a two minute rush to do good, I admittedly brushed it off but figured there was no harm in watching it. As I watched it I knew a part of me was right. The video successfully pulled at my heart strings and gave me an immediate sense to be better than the video that I had just witnessed, but once I looked beyond the immediate reaction this video was meant to elicit I realized there was more go be taken from this than a beautiful ending.

The video was a social experiment documenting a young "homeless" boy in the midst of New York City on a frigid winter day. The boy stood on the street shivering and holding a sign as hundreds of pedestrians walked by. As time went on the boy wrapped himself in a garbage bag he was carrying and laid on the ground to protect himself from the windchill. Still not once passes byer was motivated enough to help him out. Finally after some time a  fellow homeless man comes to see to check on the boy. He gives the boy the coat off his back and the opportunity to have a meal. (to get the complete story check out the video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CwCvpEMEJU)

As I watched the video, it was interesting to see how some people walked by completely unphased while others paused, took notice of the boy in obvious need of help but ultimately also walked by. As I saw both phenomenons occur, I couldn't help but think of how often we all fall victim to the bystander effect--or the idea that with so many others around there must be someone other than myself jumping in to help. Similarly, it was an obvious case of social conformity--or people following the acts of those around them. Furthermore it reminded me of the Peter Singer example of the drowning boy who needed to be saved. It was clear to the entire class that we would all go into to save the boy regardless of how expensive our shoes were, but when the situation becomes less hypothetical and more real life is it that clear? While I understand that the example of the drowning boy and this homeless boy are not completely parallel, are they really so far off? So often we ignore the people in need that are right in front of us. This prompted me to think about what prompts people to give? Often people go to galas, public events and other social outings where they are told about a cause, why it is important and on the spot most people  take out their wallets/ checkbooks and donate to that cause without hesitation or the need to further educate themselves. (that is not to say that this is always the case or this makes the cause/ donation any less worth or significant). But how come as a whole our society is able to hand their money out with the possibility of never seeing where it goes but can walk by someone who is right in front of them without doing anything! As I mentioned before I think part of the problem is that we defer the responsibility onto others around as well the fact that we are able to rationalize our own behavior by belittling others and accusing them of being responsible for their own state and therefore deem them a wasteful donation. However, as philanthropists is it really our responsibility to decide this? Yes we must give thoughtfully and productively but not at the expense of those in immediate need around us. I think its important to look past the fancy events and catchy mission statement and also notice what is right in front of us! Yes those events are necessary to bring awareness to large scale global/ local issues but it is also important to give independently and to break the chain of social conformity!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Rena, what a powerful video. Thank you for sharing that. It was really difficult for me to watch that video, but I am so happy I did. I know I often try to avoid street vendors as I walk and in doing so I inadvertently avoid eye contact with everyone around me. Unfortunately, I recognize that avoiding eye contact with homeless people often makes it easier to pass them by. It’s hard to accept the possibility that you may give someone your money that may ultimately harm them more or go to the wrong places. But the downside of this avoidance comes at a high cost and now I am left wondering about all the people I have passed.

    While watching the video, I tried to pay attention to whether or not people recognized that this was a child and I was surprised that some did. By making eye contact with him they must have noticed that it was just a young boy. I have just admitted to walking by homeless adults before without helping. But I know I could never knowingly pass a child in the same position. But, now as I wonder about those I have passed by I am fearful. What if I have unintentionally passed a child?

    I’m glad you brought up Peter Singer’s argument. As I watched I was also thinking of Peter Singer, but through other parts of his argument. I really saw a connection to the Ted Talk story he shared about the young girl hit by a van. It really surprises me that children in these situations are not given more sympathy, even if only for their age. Additionally, as a class we frequently talk about identifiable victims being easier to give to. In Singer’s book The Life You Can Save, we heard about Rokia, the child who raised more money because she is an identifiable victim than a flyer for the same cause but without a face. How was a child without a coat in five-degree weather not “identifiable” enough everyone else in the video? I think it is reasonable to expect a child in need to be even more identifiable in person rather than on paper, but their reactions make me question that.

    Moving forward, I can think of one idea I really liked in the book The Power of Half, which was the distribution of gift cards rather than cash to the homeless. I think this would be a reasonably easy change for me to make, rather than handing out cash to those I see on the street or passing by. This clearly is not a long-term solution for someone, but I don’t want my fear of the money going to the wrong places contributing to someone not being able to have a meal or get basic necessities. I feel like this is a good starting point while I figure out a better long-term plan. I am also left wondering if employees at businesses like Greyston Bakery ever distribute business cards to the homeless they pass in NYC or actively search for their employees. If possible, maybe handing out a business card with Greyston’s information (or a similar company) could be given with the gift card and local shelter information. I am really not sure where to go from here, but I do know I could be doing more. (If anyone has any names or information on companies that work similarly to Greyston’s Bakery, please let me know!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena,
    When I read your post about how many people ignore the poor when they ask for money, I was reminded of another social experiment that I saw on YouTube.

    In the video by the Pilion Trust, a man wears a sandwich board sign that says "[Expletive] the Poor" in large letters and carries leaflets, which he hands out to people. The majority of people who see this are outraged, and stop to let the man know that what he is doing is despicable. In the end of the video, the man flips his sign around to reveal that on the other side it says "Help the Poor" and he pulls out a collection tin. Now, the man is ignored by almost all pedestrians, with only a few offering some loose change. The short film displays the message "We know you care...please care enough to give."

    This short film raises an interesting point. Are people more likely to care when they are shocked or outraged by something? Is negativity necessary to propel positive thought?

    This short film goes along with your point that we need to be mindful of all opportunities to give. If there are issues that people are clearly passionate about, why don't they give more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rena,

    The bystander syndrome you spoke of pertains to so many facets of our life. To be completely honest, it’s really hard to be so involved in the world. It burns you out, but the biggest problem is the stigma that follows, at least in your homelessness example, these individuals.

    When someone is homeless and begging for food or money, more often than not people will merely walk on by. It may not be necessarily because the individuals don’t care, but rather because they think these people will not actually buy food or seek the help they need. We as a society often associate direct donations to a homeless persona as another way of enabling their habits. I don’t think it’s wrong to think that way, but I also don’t think it’s right. There is always immediate need around us, but we have managed to create a dissonance between those needs and ourselves. It’s no different than donating to a nonprofit that isn’t transparent. We like to know that our dollars are going towards tangible work. When we donate directly to someone in need, whether homeless or some other need, we never know if the individual actually spends the money on what they claimed they needed it for.

    Again, I’m not saying our disdain or mistrust is wrong or right, but rather it should be a way to rethink of direct donations or rethink of our relationship with issues like homelessness. Personally, I believe that simply talk to people who are homeless (following your example) is a much better avenue than giving them money. People need to connect to other individuals more than they need the money.

    ReplyDelete