Tuesday, May 5, 2015

DENTAL SURGERY

OK, so here we go….. I can hear the high-speed drills, smell the scent of burning enamel, and I’m bracing for pain…..

While it would not be difficult to point out all of the good that each of the finalist organizations does in this community, it is important for me to point out some concerns that I have.  For the purpose of this blog I am going to focus on Rescue Mission, the organization that I am most familiar with.
Please allow me to begin with this:  EVERY organization that I have reviewed does something positive, something good and helps improve the overall landscape of the community in some way.  In other words, every NPO that we have considered (or are considering) strives to accomplish something good.

It is very easy to go into even the best run company, institution or organization and find something to criticize.  Until one walks in the shoes of the people, working day to day to fulfill the mission of that organization, it is nearly impossible to have a comprehensive understanding of all of the how’s and why’s of that group. 

With that being said, I am certain that the Rescue Mission performs a valuable function in this area.  I know they do, as I spoke with several of their “clients” and staff, all of whom confirmed their good works.

It does concerns me that all we focused on is their “retail operations” and very little on their overall outcome.  Why did it take eight years to open Whitney Place, when by their own admission the Binghamton Thrifty Store generated two million dollars in their first year?  Did Whitney Place really cost Sixteen Million Dollars ($16,000,000.00) to open?  Why does it cost three million dollars per year to run Whitney Place when they claim to serve between 9 and 16 men annually?  That equates to between $180,000 – $300,000 per person, per year.  If ending homelessness and hunger is their stated mission doesn’t that seem inefficient?  Why not just give 16 people One Hundred Thousand Dollars per year and run the program at half its current cost.

The Rescue Mission can tell me to the minute, square foot, bin, pound, week, day, month and year how much the Thrifty Stores generate from used clothing and merchandise and yet they can tell me little to nothing about their outcome results (on the “Mission” side).   9 out of 10 people employed by Rescue Mission work at or on behalf of the Thrifty Store not the program side of the “mission”.

We learned earlier in this semester that NPO’s are limited (legally) to their stated mission purpose and do not have lawful authority to co-mingle those functions (even though many do).  The Catholic Church is a religious organization.  They operate churches.  The Catholic Church runs schools – education organizations recognized by the same 501(c)(3) and they also operate social service agencies (Catholic Charities).  It would be unlawful for the church to operate schools and social service agencies under the same umbrella, even though they are all non-profit.  For this purpose – conforming to the statement of purpose, the Catholic Church has a NPO that is the Roman Catholic Church, The Catholic School’s of whatever diocese, and Catholic Charities.  Three separate organizations.  To conform to the law, even though all of these entities are educational, charitable or religious groups, the stated purpose of each of them are different and therefore they must be separate entities.

Likewise, I believe that the primary “mission” of the Rescue Mission is it’s retail operations as that is where the vast majority of their resources are spent.  It’s concerning that they know so much about retail and so little about the outcome of their stated mission.

I really don’t want to upset anyone.  I realize that my method and manner of delivery has not been well received and I feel very badly that I have hurt the feelings of others.  Please accept my apology, if you felt injured by my words, as that was certainly not my intent.

The Novocain is about to wear-off so I’m going to go……  Have a happy and safe summer!


Kyle Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment